Saturday, August 20, 2011

Yamato SDF-1 Project Update #1


Today I've started actually building the Yamato SDF-1 kit.

Here's the rundown of what was done before today:


1. Each of the runners were tagged according to the construction manual, there are 20 runners in all.
Since some parts have separated from the runner, I think it's best that I keep them in the plastic bag until needed.

2. Screws were sorted and placed in small plastic containers with labels.
The screws in ziplocs are the ones sent by HLJ.
This tip was taken from Yamato's support site.

TOOLS

Tamiya Side Cutter for cutting a parts from the runner.

#1 Philips screwdriver.
You'll also need #0 Philips screwdriver for screws A, B and H types.
You need to use the proper screwdriver, it should fit into the screw without any play.

Other tools used:
Box cutter (to cut open the plastic bags)
hobby knife (to scrape excess plastic when parts are removed from runner)
caliper (for the sorting of screws)

ASSEMBLY

Part list of screws and metal parts
Runners P1-P12
Runners P13-P20 and Bonus parts
Steps 1-6
 First module is step 1-3 and here is the result
 I skipped attaching part P12-6 for now for later detailing.

Next module is step 4-6 and here is the result
Part P09-16 is loose, this needs to be super glued later on.

Step 7-14
Result of step 7-8
Part P09-4 is loose, this needs to be super glued later on.

Result of step 9-14
This is the most difficult module to complete so far. Its got 6 springs to support the ratcheted joints.
Note that step 9 is mentioned in errata. The spring to be used is the large spring not the medium sized.
also on step 14, spring size is not indicated, it should be the medium sized.

Steps 15-21
Last step done is step 15

Assembly status: 15 out of 70 steps (about 21% complete)


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this project. A walk-through in building this awesome kits. I'm sure, I'm going to learn a lot of tips from an expert kit-builder like you.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not consider myself an expert kit-builder, in fact I've only built a few kits. However I've collected a lot of ideas, tips and techniques over the years which gave me a lot of confidence in doing this project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete