Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Yamato SDF-1 Project Update #5

Continuing on with the project...

Last time, I mentioned skipping step 68 because the part P10-7 and P10-3 needs to be fully snapped in to be able to attach the bridge. That is incorrect and it doesn't need to be snapped in so I proceeded in completing step 68.
Step 68 completed
Steps 69-70 are just the screw-in assembly part of the base stand. The rest of the base stand assembly is illustrated in the transformation manual.
Step 69-70 completed

Since I've reached the last step, I'll be going back to the steps I've skipped and making sure I could still undo the assembly.
Steps 31-39 (re-posting for reference)


Step 32 completed
I've secured part P15-5 (elbow shaped armor) using blue tack so I was able to proceed with step 32.
Step 33 is skipped again since these can be done on the final stages.


Step 34 starts the build of the leg module. Note that the left leg holds the Macross City so the build is different from the left to the right leg. I skipped the leg before since it will not be easy to disassemble the leg if it is built exactly as in the manual. I did some modifications so that I could still disassemble the leg:
On step 37, the pegs of part P18-1 and P18-5 were cut diagonally so they can be removed without damaging the part.
On step 38, part P11-12 wasn't fully snapped in.
On step 39-41, attachment of clear parts are skipped until final stages.


On step 43, note that the labeling is wrong for P04-10(9), it should be P04-9(10).
Step 43 clarification
In any case, these parts are not interchangeable so you'll find out one way or another that there is a mistake on the guide. Hands down to the engineering work done to this kit.


Steps 34-45 completed (40-41 skipped)
Steps 46-49 is the mounting of legs to main frame.
On step 49, mounting module 35 is skipped since it's a snap-on module and cannot be easily undone.
Steps 46-49 completed
Steps 50-52 is the mounting of the center block to the main frame.
Steps 50-52 completed
Step 59 is the mounting of main weapon to main frame.
Step 59 completed
The following photo was taken before the leg assembly was screwed in just to have an idea on how the project going so far:
The project as of Aug 30, 2011
So far I've already assembled the major parts and modules and will now proceed with detailing and disassemble of some parts.


Future updates will be much slower as I take time in doing the painting part of project.


Assembly status: 61 out of 70 steps (about 87% complete)

5 comments:

  1. awesome!
    as young industrial design student, I found your project very usefull to understand the piece's complexity and details about manufacturing.
    thnx a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone had learned something from these blogs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Was the SDF-1 ever finished? I just got my kit yesterday and im using your blog as a guide. Could you please take some pics of the final product? I would like to see some finished pics to see what it looks like with all the details.. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Sorry the SDF-1 is currently in the same state as last pic. The remaining detail parts needs to be glued and will make dis-assembly impossible. I really wanted to paint this but I could not find the time to do so with all the real life work I have.

    If you're looking for finished photos, you can find lots of them in flickr, just search 'Yamato SDF-1'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh i see. Dont feel bad it took 3 years to finish my MG Sinanju lol. Im gonna try and know this out soon. Im going for the toy look but at the same time adding a little bit more detail because even the pre-assembled toy looks way too plain. Im just gonna add some panel lines, the photo etched details, and some minor paint. Either way thanks for the guide you got going on here. Its beem very helpful.

    ReplyDelete